Re: A86: [OT]Math problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: [OT]Math problem

first factor 2450 to primes.
2450 = 2*5*5*7*7
then make a list of the possible ages
2,5,245  2,25,49  2,175,7
10,5,49  10,35,7  50,7,7
i believe the maximum human life span is something around 120 years.
that eliminates two possibilities.  (not that it's terribly important,
but it saves time.)
add the rest together and divide by two to find the priest's age
2+25+49 = 76/2 = 38
10+5+49 = 64/2 = 32
10+35+7 = 52/2 = 26
50+7+7 = 64/2 = 32
mr smith new how old the priest was, yet still couldn't tell how old the
visitors were.  that leaves two possibilities:
10+5+49 = 64/2 = 32
50+7+7 = 64/2 = 32
he was told that he was the oldest one.  this allowed him to figure out
how old the other visitors would be.  he must have been 50.  if he was 49
or younger, he could not have been the oldest.  if he was older than 50,
he could not have figured out the ages of the visitors.

-josh