A86: [OT]Math problem

[Next][Index][Thread]

A86: [OT]Math problem

Hello!

I have got a maths problem, and I wonder if anyone of you can help me to
solve this.

One day Mr. Smith met the priest who told the following story:
"Today I showed the church to three visitors and the funny thing was that
the sum of their ages was exactly twice as big as my own age. When you
multiply the visitors' ages the result is 2450." The priest asked Mr. Smith:
"Do you know how old they were?" After Mr. Smith had thought about this for
a while, he answered "No, I don't". The priest then said: "If I tell you
that you are the oldest of the five of us, do you know then?" "Yes", said
Mr. Smith, who knew how old the priest was, "now I know." How old was Mr
Smith?

Pretty tricky, or is it?

Andreas Finne
a_finne@hotmail.com