Re: A86: Theory question [i think its about time we....]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Theory question [i think its about time we....]

I think you answered your own question...

Seriously, guys, this is a CALCULATOR!!!  These things are designed for
doing math, NOT playing games!  I would surmise that even now, no more than
50% of people who actively use TI graphing calcs even know about the
capability to play games.  Much less do they care about programming for
them.  I would doubt that even 0.01% have ever tried to program a TI calc in
assembly.  Why would TI waste all that money (every part that adds a penny
to the cost of a product, multiply that by a million or so and you'll see
how quickly it adds up...that's why PC hardware like sound cards suck so
badly) when people will never use it?

You're thinking more on the lines of a hand held portable, rather than a
calculator.  I've heard rumors of the GBC 2, and if it's real (doubtful), it
sounds very cool.  Heck, the Game Boy beats the 86 on every aspect except
for APA graphics and cpu speed (4 Mhz vs. 6 Mhz).  And the color game boy
runs at 8 Mhz when in double speed mode.  Darn shame APA graphics are so
hard to program.

Now, a 50Mhz RISC portable with a resolution double the GB, APA graphics
(with color done in a sane manner!!!) and modulated IR linking would be
cool...but not on a calc...