Re: A86: Interrupt link handler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Interrupt link handler

yes, this does sound suspiciously familiar. :)

i had another thought, though.  in case you had something to send larger
than the allocated buffer, you could have a couple of pointers to set up.
 set one pointer to the beginning of the data to send and one at the end,
then set a flag and wait.  of course, that's only if you need to send a
LOT of data.  this would also give the ability to send and check a
checksum automatically.

as for syncing, that's just a matter of the protocol used to transfer the
data.  this would be easier to solve using an interrupt because you're
not holding up the rest of the program while waiting for the link port.

-josh

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:19:07 -0600 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:
>crybabies@lists.ticalc.org):  Has anyone thought about writing an
>interrupt
>link port handler?  I was thinking that it might work out better for
>programs that transmit lots of data to do it using interrupts.  You'd
>have
>two buffers, a receive and a send buffer.  The interrupt hanlder would
>take
>bytes off the send buffer and transmit them, while receiving bytes
>and
>placing them in the receive buffer.
>
>The main part of the program wouldn't have to mess with the buffers.
>You'd
>just call your nomral GetByte/SendByte routines and they'd handle it.
>The
>good part is that the programs wouldn't have to wait for each other
>and
>wouldn't get out of synch (at least that's why I'm hoping for).  I
>talked
>with Matthew Shepcar about this for Bomber Bloke, though he didn't
>think
>it'd help much.  This would be pretty important for a C&C type game
>that
>would be sending many bytes per second.  Waiting for the games to
>synch and
>send data wouldn't be an option.
>
>Thoughts?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]