From: owner-assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org
[mailto:owner-assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org]On Behalf Of Chris Flanigan
Sent: Friday, January 22, 1999 7:35 PM
To: 86 Assembly
Subject: A86: OK, Hex and ASM Understanding (for Justin Karneges mainly)

Sorry to those who don't care if I learn ASM! I want to get this stuff
straight. I've got a lot of questions so...

OK. If I understand this right.

If I want to convert 25 from hex to decimal, I've got 2 16's and 5 1's that
would be 37 right? So 25h = 37? Now I want to convert 67 from hex to
decimal, I've got 6 16's and 7 1's. So 67h = 103? (6*16=96 +7=103) It's very
clear now. Again, thanks for the help Justin!! One day I'll ask you about
bits. I know somewhat the idea. Don't worry about it now, I'm not ready to
jump into that yet. I want to get the basics down.

Maybe if I read a little, which I have been doing, I would find out how to
get input from the user of the program. For now, could anyone give me a
little documented, sample coding? Should I just be reading keypresses and
comparing their values if required? How do I take the keypress and translate
it to the data needed? Say I wanted to have the user input a string. I would
use a getky routine that checks the keypresses right? Then what? How do I
know that the 5, 7 and 9 characters of the string aren't digits? Does it
matter?

If I wanted to make a program (for example) that the user would input a
number (a). The number that you programmed the calculator to use was 5 (b).
I would make a loop that looped until their input was equal to b right? If I
wanted to allow them say...10 turns to guess the number. I'd initialize c at
the beginning of the program with 0. I'd then increment c every loop and put
the statement towards the bottom of the loop that if c=10 then jump out of
the loop to the next location. Is this understanding right? I'm going for
the concept now and the code later.

When do the number bases change? I understand that hex is 16 based and
binary is 2 based. Could anyone give an example of a different base?

I feel that I'm bothering everyone but I want to learn this right so I don't
release a stupid, dumb, boring, unworthy game to the TI world.

This message was written by Chris Flanigan.

If this is in reply to an inquiry about the TI Archive, direct
all e-mail to ti_archive@hotmail.com.

If this is a personal message, direct all e-mail to cflan@granitecity.com