Re: A86: SUPER BOWL

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: SUPER BOWL

So why reply?  (as I am doing now :)

You can do a list one of three ways:

1) Self moderated -- each member on the list takes upon themselves the
responsibility to not post off-topic material (at least not too much).  Off
topic subjects can be determined by the members of the list.  For example,
even though this is an 86 assembly list, is it off topic to discuss porting
86 games to other calcs, and vice versa?  What if someone mentions an idea
for an assembly game, even though it's not programming?  Is this off topic?
If many people are interested in it, then it is not.  If a few of the people
don't like it, they can delete messages on that thread.  If a certain person
becomes a big problem, then the list members can email the list owner to
have them warned or removed.

2) Post moderated -- a moderator of the list should be someone with a good
knowledge of the list, not just someone who checks it every so often.  They
should be an active part of the list.  The moderator will tell others (like
you just did) not to post off-topic material.  The list moderator should
also have the ability to ban off-topic threads...meaning they set something
on the server so replies to the same thread are not sent out.  One list I
was on a few years ago, when the moderator was moderating, the first part of
his message started with "[moderator hat on]", so everyone, even the
newbies, knew that he _was_ the moderator and it was not just a request.
The reason the moderator should be an active list participant is so that
they can better determine what is on-topic and what is not.

3) Pre moderated -- I am one one list like this, and it sucks.  All messages
must be read by the list moderator _before_ they are sent.  Now, it has the
advanatage that everything (nearly) is on topic and no spams or other such
junk is sent through, but it is slow.  You don't get replies nearly as
quickly.  None of these half hour "conversations" that involve ten different
messages, that often provide very useful information.

Right now, the list is self moderated, and I would like to see it stay that
way.  The list is a good source of help for newbies and for advanced
programmers alike.  The one problem I see is that there is no comprehensive
newbie FAQ for 86 assembly, so you keep seeing the same "how do I start with
this asm stuff?".  I think that ticalc.org should include a list of
reference websites for asm that is included in the new list member email.
If people would just do a little searching (not much is needed...find one
site, follow the links) and reading themselves, they would save everyone
alot of trouble.  We don't write tutorials and FAQ's for nothing...do I
spend six hours on a webpage just so I can answer the question thirty more
times?

Here's some food for thought:

When David Boozer hacked the TI-85 back in '94 and when Dan Eble created
ZShell, did they go whining for help?

--
David Phillips <david@acz.org>
http://www.acz.org/