A86: Re: Re: Assembly

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Re: Assembly

> APCS Student's do learn these things right before the test but as for the
> rest of the year it is bassically a need to know basis....

You can't expect to learn all that right before the test and understand it
well enough.  I am teaching a couple of people classes and pointers now, and
I doubt they will score over a 3 on the exam.

> Sort of breaks it down and starts the new programmer at a level they can
> understand.

As I've said before...if you can't write it, you shouldn't use it.

> Kind of like how you don't need to know how to build a car in order to
> use one.

That's correct.  Just like you don't have to know how to program Microsoft
Word in order to use it.  But using code in your program that you don't
understand, especially when the purpose of programming is to learn
programming, is completely different.

> In the same manner begining computer science students can use the
> standard c++ functions and classes without knowing exactly how they work.
>  Then later when they get more advanced they can learn how these
> functions and classes are implelemented.

That is not the same thing.  Knowing how text is written to the screen and
how files are opened is different than knowing how a linked list or a string
works.