Re: A86: hex text ATTN: Adam Pritchard

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 04:03 PM 9/12/98 EDT, you wrote:

>I have a prog called 86p2hex.  I dont know if any one else can get it to work
>but I can't.  At least I don't think I can.  but anyway.  Hex is all just a
>bunch of numbers and letters grouped at 4 per line?  but what about text?
how
>come when I convert this asm prog:
>
>#include "ti86asm.inc"
>
>.org _asm_exec_ram
>
>text:
>.db "A86 is FUN"
>.end
>
>and I put it in HEX I dont find the text written in the HEX anywhere?  all I
>find is a bunch of numbers.  is my text in there or not?
>
>This is the hex code:
>
>4138
>3620
>6973
>2046
>554E
>
>  Where is the text?

Your text is there, just the hex representation of it's ascii codes.  41 is
ascii for A, 38 for 8, 36 for 6, 20 for a space, 69 for i, 73 for s, 20 for
another space, 46 for F, 55 for U, 4E for N, got it?

You seem to be confused about just what hex is.  Hex (short for
hexadecimal) is a number base system, basically a way to abbreviate what
the calculator actually stores, that is binary (00011101 in binary for
example is 0D in hex). The calculator allows you to type assembly programs
in as hex representations of the binary it will run, that is the hex code
output by 86p2hex.  This is stored in a program variable, but uses only 6
letters and 10 numbers of a code called ASCII which is a way of storing
text in binary.  This uses 2 characters, each a byte long, to store a
single asm program byte.  "AsmComp(" changes this around, and afterword the
program uses only 1 byte for each byte of code, but it is no longer
readable because it includes codes for symbols such as spaces, commas and
other strange symbols, some of which aren't even printable.  Does this make
any sense?
--
Andy Johnson <prjohnson@utahlinx.com>

Follow-Ups: References: