A86: Re: Re: A bunch of asm Questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Re: A bunch of asm Questions

>>    Hi, could somebody please answer these questions.  I would much
>>appreciate it!!)
>>
>>    1.  When you run an ASM program, is the busy indicator on or off?
>
>    On, unless u call _runindicoff.

It's a good idea to flush the menus at the beginning of your program as
well, which a lot of people neglect doing.

>>    2.  Are the registers cleared when ever you run another ASM
>>        program or are they still what the prev. program set them to?
>

>    I dunno.  Good question.  I think if a program runs another program
>(like a shell) then the registers are the same, but if it is run from the
>TI-OS, doesn't it overwrite _asm_exec_ram??  Dux, help me out =)

They aren't cleared, but they don't hold any competent values either -- just
trash left from _exec_assembly.  The values of the registers are stored into
the asm register RAM locations of page 0, and can be retrieved from there.
When you return from an asm module, on the other hand, the registers hold
the values they held when the module ended.

>>    3.  How do you use the VAT?
>
>   Use rst $20 and rst $10 to get info from variables.  See Dux's tutorial
>on absolute addressing.
>

>>    4.  Do you have to clear the LCD every time you start a new ASM
>>        program or is it done for you?
>
>    U have to clear it
>>
>>    5.  How do you use the checksum in your prog.?
>
>    Only in alt and sqrt programs

There are no checksums in asm programs (including sqrt programs, which are
just asm programs).  You only need checksums in the four alt routines.

>>    6.  I know how to write numbers to the op1-6, but how do you write
>>        text for use in the CREATE calls?
>
>         do this:
>           ld hl,name
>           rst $20            ;move the name to OP1
>      name:
>           .db 4,"NAME"

That should be <ld hl,name-1>