A86: Re: learning too

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: learning too

There are plenty of tutorials on the internet that will attempt to _help_you
learn_ assembly, but actually learning it it is up to you!  If you don't
know a language like C or Pascal, asm will be hard.  You need to have a good
grasp of hex, binary, logical operations, etc.  You will most likely not
learn that in basic, especially TI-BASIC.

The best way to learn, IMHO, is to download Assembly Studio 86, TI86EMU,
dump your calcs rom, and use that to program.  Assembly Studio 86 is MUCH,
MUCH easier to use than TASM, especially if you are new to compilers and
such.  Assembly Studio has an EXCELLENT help file, which is half the reason
you should get it.

When you are starting out, it takes a long time to remember all of the
instructions available, and all the combinations that you can use
(especially LD that has 26 forms...).  The help file shows you how to use
alot of rom calls that you will use frequently.  It lets you add in tools,
such as the emulator.  I think I have made the point...

You will want to test your programs on the emulator, unless you feel like
crashing your calculator hundreds (probably thousands) of times while
starting out (though if you do test on the calc, asm studio has a
compile-and-send button).

Start out by typing in "hello, world" programs and figure out exactly how
they work.  Keep adding stuff, like loops, key input, etc.  Assembly is all
practice, so you need to write alot of code to get good at it.  Try to write
a simple game, like tic-tac-toe (that's what I did my first week) to put all
the concepts together.

NO tutorial is going to just put the information in your head.  The best
tutorial in the world does no good if you don't try out all the sample
programs in it.  You must learn it yourself.  Once you actually get started,
it's not as hard as it seems.  It just takes along time.

--
David Phillips <electrum@tfs.net>
ICQ: 13811951