Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 05:23:16 -0700
From: Greg Milewski <lordgoat@angelfire.com>
To: ti-emulator@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: ti-emu: Ok, now i'm in legal trouble

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 12:29:04
From: "Abuse Dept." <abuse@tripod.com>
To: lordgoat@somethingorother.com

I was asked to forward this message.  Please respond when you receive it.

From: Paul King <pking@ti.com>, on 9/30/98 11:39 AM:
To: lordgoat@tripod.com

While we appreciate the interest you have shown in TI calculator products, it
has come to our attention that you have been associated with the distribution
of files which contain a copy of the copyrighted ROM contents of TI graphing
calculators.  TI strongly objects to this illegal distribution of the
copyrighted ROM contents of Texas Instruments products.

The purchaser of a TI graphing calculator acquires the ROM contents for his or
her own use in the product they purchased.  The license granted to them does
NOT give them a right to copy and distribute the copyrighted ROM contents.
Making a copy and distributing that copy to any other person is a copyright
infringement.  We must request that you take the following steps immediately:

1) Remove any copies of software containing ROM contents that have been placed
on FTP servers, web servers, or other distribution vehicles.

2) Notify users of any interest groups where the illegal copy was announced
that the illegal copy was  published without permission from the copyright
holder and has been removed from the distribution sites.

While some may argue that a graphing calculator owner may make a copy of the
ROM contents from the calculator he or she owns for his or her personal use,
copyright law does not grant anyone a right to copy and distribute the ROM
contents without express permission from the copyright holder.  Given that
under the copyright law owners may be allowed to make a copy of the ROM
content
of the machine they own does provide an option for distributing an emulator to
such owners. Again, we do appreciate the enthusiasm for and support of Texas
Instruments products.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Paul King
TI Calculators
pking@ti.com
Neil Bibbins                                            Tripod's Help System
Membership Services					    http://help.tripod.com/feedback
Tripod Inc.
nbibbins@tripod.com

***Given the significant volume of e-mail that we receive each day,  please
include your original message so that we can identify your request.  Thank
you.**

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------