Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 10:05 PM 11/18/98 EST, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>> At 03:02 PM 11/17/98 EST, you wrote:
>>  >In a message dated 11/17/98 1:08:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thruska@tir.
>> com
>>  >writes:
>>  >
>>  >>
>>  >>  Ummm...He who is the archiver at ticalc.org doesn't know that the 82
>has
>>  >>  assembly capabilities?  He who personally put CrASH, ASH, JASS, and
>>  >>  OShell-82 shells for the TI-82 says it no longer exists.  This sounds
>> like
>>  >>  hypocrisy to me.  Besides, how did we get an 82 shell in the first
>place?
>>
>>  >>  Someone had to use the TI ROM for research purposes.  So, Bryan
>>  Rabeler, if
>>  >>  TI doesn't allow their ROM to be used for research purposes, you had
>>  better
>>  >>  remove every last assembly shell, game, and program from the 82
>>  directories
>>  >>  or you are in serious legal trouble.  However, TI can't and won't
>>  prosecute
>>  >>  since "programming research" is legal under the copyright law.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >ti did not support assembly on the ti-82, so it was NOT meant to be
>>  >programmed, which voids all uses of "programming research" in
>investigating
>>  >the rom of the ti-82. in contrast, ti supported assembly on the ti-86,
so
>> it
>>  >was meant to be programmed, justifying the "programming research" claim.
>>
>>  So, according to the paragraph that you have just written, you are fully
>>  supporting everything that I have said.  Since "programming research" is
>>  void for the investigation of the 82 ROM image, then every last assembly
>>  shell, game, and program must be deleted from the TI-82 directories at
>>  ticalc.org (and other major sites) or they are in serious legal trouble
>>  since everything can be linked to "programming research" on the 82 ROM.
>>  Yet, you also give the EXCEPTION that it is perfectly legal to distribute
>>  the 86 ROM image since TI supported assembly under the legal umbrella of
>>  "programming research."  So, I'm just making sure that you know that you
>>  are _FOR_ 86 ROM image distribution and _AGAINST_ 82 ROM distribution
>>  because of one minor thing:  internal assembly support.  You are saying
>>  therefore that it is perfectly legal to distribute any TI ROM image that
>>  has internal assembly support.  This excludes the TI-85 and TI-82
>>  calculators only.
>

>if you think you've caught me implying something i didn't mean, you're wrong.
>that's EXACTLY what i meant.  just like microsoft has to reveal info about
>windows (even though they don't completely...), ti has to release info about
>the TI-86, because they're both programming platforms.

At least we are in agreement on several TI ROM images.  The ROM images that
have internal assembly support are legal to distribute according to your
agreement and the copyright law exception of "programming research."  Thank
you for your support in this issue.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org