RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

The TI-82 was never meant to support assembly programs.  It had to be
backed in order to do so.  I know this and I _hope_ you know this too by
now. :)

See below....

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives, News, Features, and HTML

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> At 06:09 AM 11/17/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >You want to "research" the TI ROM so you can do what?  Hack assembly code?
> >That doesn't sound like a legal reason to me.  Just wait until TI releases
> >the assembly information.  However, since you own a TI-82, you are out of
> >luck since it doesn't support assembly.
>
> Ummm...He who is the archiver at ticalc.org doesn't know that the 82 has
> assembly capabilities?  He who personally put CrASH, ASH, JASS, and
> OShell-82 shells for the TI-82 says it no longer exists.  This sounds like
> hypocrisy to me.  Besides, how did we get an 82 shell in the first place?
> Someone had to use the TI ROM for research purposes.  So, Bryan Rabeler, if
> TI doesn't allow their ROM to be used for research purposes, you had better
> remove every last assembly shell, game, and program from the 82 directories
> or you are in serious legal trouble.  However, TI can't and won't prosecute
> since "programming research" is legal under the copyright law.
>
> >Plus, who are you to say what purposes TI ROMs are used for?  I think only
> >TI can say that.  If TI doesn't want their ROMs to be used for
> >"programming research", then you can't do it legally.  I could say I
> >wanted to use a video game ROM to research 3D gaming or something, but
> >that's still not legal.
>
> Yes, I can do it (programming research) legally.  TI has no authority over
> national copyright law.  They can say that they don't want their ROMs used
> for "programming research" but it will mean nothing since they are NOT
> above national law.
>
> >I challenge you to e-mail ti-cares@ti.com and ask them yourself.
>
> If they care so much, then they will come to me.  I won't go grovelling on
> my e-mail knees to them.  Besides, this thread's entire purpose is to come
> up with a legal defense AGAINST TI.  Why give them more time to think this
> whole thing through by sending them e-mail about it?  I say we all
> collaborate and come up with a legal defense of this position that I have
> proposed.  If TI objects, then we fight back with our document (that needs
> to be developed) if it comes down to a court battle.  If we don't prepare
> in advance, TI will come after us anyway down the road for some reason or
> other.  We must be ready.
>
> Paranoid I am not.  Cautious I am.  TI is just waiting for ticalc,
> ti-files, or dimension-ti to mess up.  The second that such an error is
> made, TI will begin the legal process.  TI would love to shut down every
> last major site and if we can defend our position and win, TI will leave us
> alone, forever.

What about TI-Land or Tom's TI-81 world? :)  What does this thread have to
do with TI web sites?