Re: A86: Suggestions for improving the mailing list

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Suggestions for improving the mailing list

I recently got a loaner HP48G and joined comp.sys.hp48.  The HP48 is like 10
years older than the TI-86 and this newsgroup is still completely on track.  I'm
not sure if that is because it is moderated more, but nearly everything about
that calculator has been discovered long ago.  My point is, just because a
calculator is a year old doesn't mean that a discussion group or mailing list
about it can't have substance.  On that NG, they talk about programming
techniques, post programs (for use in other programs, or whatever), and lots of
other stuff, but it all pertains to the HP48.

Anyway, enough about that.  I, too, have lately been very discouraged about this
list.  Whereas I used to check it every day, lately, I have waited for it to
build up and just ended up deleting much of it twice a week.

Something that I think deserves a lot more discussion that it is getting lately
is the sqrt programs.  There is still a lot that we don't know about these.  It
would be nice if this could become (again) a good platform from which to conduct
"research" about the TI-86 ROM.  Let me remind you all that we know what, maybe
a quarter of the calls on page D?  And we know next to nothing about how the
calculator works when an assembly program is not being executed.  I think a goal
for all of us should be to attempt to map out what the calculator does (even
generally, because i know it is a LOT of individual commands) during normal
operation.  This would greatly assist anyone trying to "hack" various aspects of
it.

Hopefully, this new talk of fixing this list will suffice to improve it, but
maybe we need to do more.  Possibilities could be making it into a newsgroup, or
adding better moderation?  I am not very knowledgable in the area of mailing
lists, but there has got to be a better way than just having one person block
out responses to certain posts.

Finally, I just hope that it is not too late for the "TI-86 gurus" that we all
look up to to return to this list.

--
Stephen Hicks
mailto:shicks@mindspring.com