Re: A86: Edit lock

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Edit lock

Umm.. I think you're all wrong but no offence.  It doesn't change the
program type.. All basic programs start with a two byte size and then
a null byte ($00). After that comes the actual text. If you want it
to be locked, just add a second null byte after the first.. Let's say
you use this test program:

:DISP "HI"

The data would go like this for unlocked:
$0A00                ;the size
$00                     ;null byte
$444953502022484922                     ;the text 'DISP "Hi"'

Now for the locked version, it would be like this:
$0B00                ;size is one bigger for the extra null byte
$0000                 ;null bytes needed for being locked
$444953502022484922                     ;the text 'DISP "Hi"'

> On the computer, there is a protection option for programs.  What I believe
> this does is it changes the program type from $12 to maybe $32 (I haven't
> checked on the 86) and then it disappears from the edit menu.  You can also
> edit protect a program with $FF but then it is somewhat permanent.

Follow-Ups: References: