Re: A86: Program variable format

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 05:52 PM 8/7/98 -0500, you wrote:

>_FINDSYM swaps page 7 (where the VAT is stored) and returns HL as a pointer
>to the var's VAT entry.  BDE is the 24-bit pointer to the var's actual
>data.  The format for the VAT entry is below:
>
>   1  Type Byte
>   3  Absolute Pointer to Variable Data
>   1  Appears to be Zero, possible flag byte
>   1  Name Length
><= 8  Name
>
>This info was taken from Matt Johnson's asm FAQ.  His site is located at:
>http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86/
>
>His site answers most questions you might have, and if not, one of the
>other site links he has will.
>
>At 03:46 PM 8/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>Can anyone explain what the format of a program variable is, byte by byte?
>>Specifically, I'm looking for where findsym points to in the program format.

Actually, I know how the symbol table looks, that wasn't what I was looking
for.  A program variable looks something like this:

XX XX - size
XX ?? - 1 or 2 byte header
data  - text, tokens, or asm code

Now my question is, where does bde point to, the begining of the size word,
the header or the actual data?  Nothing I've been able to find clarifies
this.
--
Andy Johnson

Follow-Ups: References: