Re: A86: ASM Converter from 85->86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ASM Converter from 85->86

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Joseph Gaffney wrote:

> I myself didn't really follow it, but I know what happened.  Thomas Hruska
> ported some code without permission from the authors, which angered them.

Thanks.  I can see how they would get angry.

I guess this brings us to the core of the issue: permission.  Some people
seem to think they're entitled to having the old 85 programs on the 86.
They're not, except by the author's choice.

Here's an analogy:

	Terry has upgraded from a 16-MHz 386 to a 266-MHz Pentium II, so
he calls up Microsoft and asks them to give him a copy of Windows NT and
Office 97, since he already owns Windows 3.1 and Write.  They offer him a
special upgrade price of $149.99, but he vehemently protests.  After the
salespeople toss him off the line, they go to lunch and laugh at him.

Here's another analogy:

	Some wacko walks into a library with a case of white-out, hides in
the stacks with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," and changes every
occurrence of "Alice said" to "Magnus said"  He leaves all the pronouns
untouched, and he doesn't change other occurrences of "Alice."  Don't you
pity the poor child that attempts to read it in that state?  The only way
to have a real "Magnus' Adventures" would be to edit the book thoroughly.

--------
Dan Eble (mailto:eble@cis.ohio-state.edu)
         (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~eble)