A85: Re: Chem program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Re: Chem program

That sounds great, I would like to put that in too when I finish the
balancer.  Just send me the algorithms and I'll throw something together.
 Remember, I am a sophomore in high school and consider myself someone
advanced at this, but I am not gonna know stuff that I haven't been
taught or that I could deduce fairly easily (including quantum
mechanics!).

Justin Bosch
justin-b@juno.com

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:53:03 -0500 "pagemaker" <pagemaker@ez-page.com>
writes:

>> I read that e-mail about suggestions for my program, and then my
>computer
>>promptly crashed, so I lost it.  If I decide to use any of those
>ideas, I
>>can assure everyone that first the program will strictly serve as an
>>equation balancer, and then I will try to add other chemistry
>functions.
>>Some of the things you will never see in it: compound naming,
>predicting
>>reactions (wouldn't you need a physics engine for that?), and heat
>>evolved during reactions.  The other stuff is possible, the
>conversion
>>stuff and all, but couldn't most people do that fairly easily with
>just a
>>periodic table?  Still, I appreciate all of the input and will try to
>>keep the program as small as possible while still being functional
>and
>>fast.
>

>Most people can balance equations fairly quickly.  It still would save
>time,
>and I imagine quite a bit.  I suppose when I referred to predicting
>reactions, I was too ambiguous.  It is impossible without relying on
>complex
>quantum mechanics(redundant ;-) to predict products, however you can
>still
>get a decent idea for most inorganic reactions.  Just decide if its a
>double
>displacement, single replacement, combustion, etc. and balance for
>that
>type.
>For example:
>HCl + NaOH -> HOH [H2O] +NaCl
>or
>CH4 + O2 ->  CO2 +2H2
>You're making some assumptions, but useful & pretty accurate ones.
>
>I'm curious, what's the 86 program do?
>
>I'd be willing to pseudo-code some algorithms for the stuff I've
>talked
>about if you'd(and your partner) like to put it into TI-86 source
>code?
>
>>Justin Bosch
>>justin-b@juno.com
>

>~DJ Love Toad

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]