A85: Re: Chem program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Re: Chem program

> I read that e-mail about suggestions for my program, and then my computer
>promptly crashed, so I lost it.  If I decide to use any of those ideas, I
>can assure everyone that first the program will strictly serve as an
>equation balancer, and then I will try to add other chemistry functions.
>Some of the things you will never see in it: compound naming, predicting
>reactions (wouldn't you need a physics engine for that?), and heat
>evolved during reactions.  The other stuff is possible, the conversion
>stuff and all, but couldn't most people do that fairly easily with just a
>periodic table?  Still, I appreciate all of the input and will try to
>keep the program as small as possible while still being functional and
>fast.

Most people can balance equations fairly quickly.  It still would save time,
and I imagine quite a bit.  I suppose when I referred to predicting
reactions, I was too ambiguous.  It is impossible without relying on complex
quantum mechanics(redundant ;-) to predict products, however you can still
get a decent idea for most inorganic reactions.  Just decide if its a double
displacement, single replacement, combustion, etc. and balance for that
type.
For example:
HCl + NaOH -> HOH [H2O] +NaCl
or
CH4 + O2 ->  CO2 +2H2
You're making some assumptions, but useful & pretty accurate ones.

I'm curious, what's the 86 program do?

I'd be willing to pseudo-code some algorithms for the stuff I've talked
about if you'd(and your partner) like to put it into TI-86 source code?

>Justin Bosch
>justin-b@juno.com

~DJ Love Toad