Re: A85: I need Help!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: I need Help!

In a message dated 8/11/99 6:53:50 PM MDT, saxaphonedude@hotbot.com writes:

> After announcing California Games 99, I decided that my
>  sprite routine wasn't fast enough.  Well, actually it's
>  not a sprite routine, I'm just using the precompiled
>  routines that come with usgard.  The game is in
>  grayscale so I'm using the routine twice. (PAGE1ADDR &
>  PAGE2ADDR)  I need to ask if anyone would help me write
>  a fast grayscale sprite routine that supports masking
>  and saves the background.  Anybody that would like to
>  help, please e-mail me, If you write a good routine you're name will be on
> the opening screen of the
>  finished game.  I know somebody out there can do it,
>  unfortunately I'm better at designing rather than
>  programming.
>                                    -Ryan Guerry
>                                SaxaphoneDude@Hotbot.com

I've made a pretty fast sprite routine that does masking, clipping,
grayscale, and background saving/restoration called SDRPlus.  However...it
might be better to just use a virtual memory.  What we (Mikel and I) plan on
doing in Neontech ][ (at least this is what I think is the best...) is use 2
pages for the map, then keep 2 other pairs of pages that you copy the map to
and switch between.  So if on a particular frame you have pages A and B
showing, you copy the map to pages C and D, put all the sprites and stuff on
pages C and D, then flip the pages so now you're seeing pages C and D.  This
is fast and only requires one copy, although it unfortunately needs 5K of
free memory minimum, and probably a little more.

I'm not sure what this California Games 99 is suppose to be like...but...if
you decide you still wanna go with the fancy sprite routine, email me
personally around abouts Tuesday, and I'll send you the source to the
routine...I plan on one of these days trying to optimize it somewhat with
maybe the shadow registers, but... ;)

JL
Macross Software