Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Michael Pearce wrote:
> >Usgard still uses fake relocation meaning that somewhere (it was in the
> >Usgard string last I heard) there is a fix-up table.  This is what makes
> >the programs bigger and slower because for a program to call a routine
> >within itself it must call the fix-up table first.  The fix-up table is
> >just a bunch of jumps.  This makes calls slower than in Rigel.  But ROM
> >calls are the same because Rigel also uses a fix-up table to account for
> >different ROM versions.
>
> as far as i was aware, i thought usgard changed all of the addresses
> with the & *before* the program began execution, but i could be wrong.
>
> -mike pearce

Yeah I did stop paying attension to their fake relocation meathod a LONG
time ago.  You're probably right.  The fix-up table is a list of all the
relative addresses in the program that need to be changed.  These would
have to be in the program and stay constant.

Still when I eventually convert my game to other shells I'll physically
relocate my subroutines to the graph mem to keep the size smaller than
usual (just for Usgard and Zshell I think.)

-Humberto Yeverino Jr.

"I kick ass for the Lord."

Home Page:
  http://www.engr.csufresno.edu/~humberto/Home.html