Re: A85: Shell usage

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shell usage

At 20:34 1998-05-12 -0700, you wrote:
>* Furthermore, all the shells can only be transferred through a memory
>backup, so when you get a new shell from someone you lose even the
>shell-independent (i.e. ZShell) programs you had unless the other calc
>has room or you have a third calc to store them on or a link or
>something.

Not true. If you have ZShell on the calc, you can replace it with
Usgard (or any other shell I guess) without making a backup.
The only reason you have to send a backup is to 1) patch the custom
menu and 2) to put the program in front of everything else. By using
the sub( command in the string menu, you can replace the ZShell
string with the Usgard string (modifiying a variable that already
exist doesn't change it's position). Of course, the name of the
variable will not change, but I don't think that matters.

>* And there is the disadvantage I mentioned that the more advanced
>shells take up more space.

Usgard Lite (which doesn't have TSR and variable support but everything
else, including interrupts, relocation, lots of built in calls etc)
is smaller than ZShell, even with patchrom. At least in the upcoming
Usgard 1.6

--
Real name: Jimmy Mårdell                "can't go mucking with a 'void *'"
IRC......: Yarin                                // Apple's MPW C compiler

Follow-Ups: References: