Re: A85: I was wondering how to start Usgard using a jp ($8BFF)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 17:48 1998-02-23 -0500, you wrote:

>As far as i know, TSR's stop executing when you exit UsGard (they're
>terminate stay resident, but i believe that's limited to the context of
>while you're running the shell). That makes it impossible to start it from
>any other key sequence. The only reason that the custom menu location works
>is because each of the 12 items on the custom menu is really just a pointer
>to soem executable code. If you set one of these pointers to point to the
>code for UsGard, then UsGard executes. Since the contents of the Prgm menu
>never change, there is no reason for them to put a pointer in for each menu
>item, thereby making it impossible to put UsGard there. (or in any place
>other than the custom menu, as far as i know).

First, TSR programs doesn't stop execute when you exit Usgard. It
wouldn't be much of a TSR if it did that...

Second, the current menu structure IS in the RAM memory. I know this,
because I've played around with a fake memory reset program which
changes the pointers in the current memory, so MEM->Delete, MEM->Ram
etc points to your own code instead of in the ROM (works, but
was unstable - in zshell though).

So, it should be VERY possible to put Usgard in the Prgm men
All you have to do is to check how the Prgm menu looks like.
The TSR could then check if the current menu structure
is the Prgm menu by either looking at the F1-F2 pointers,
or - if anyone finds the address - just look at the number (the
latter method would be compatible between different ROMs as well)
When that's done, you simple insert a pointer in the free slots.
You would also have to display the text Usgrd (but an invisible
slot would be cool).

Notice that the TSR program doesn't do the actual execution,
it just changes the current menu structure.

--
Real name: Jimmy Mårdell
IRC......: Yarin