Re: A85: Copyrighting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Copyrighting

True, the file access date will change, but you can always save the code
in a different file. That way, the original dates will be preserved,
along with the dates that you modified the file, so code revisions can
be tracked more thoroughly. And I doubt anyone is going to forge program
notes for proof. And if you've got em, its proof. You can try and
register your copyrighted material, but in the end it won't help that
much. If you find someone infringing on your copyright, you'll still
have to take them to court to prove it. A copyright cracker is not going
to have enough evidence to defend himself or herself unless he or she
has had access to your computer in which your copyrighted files are
stored. They won't have the file dates, or the source code, or anything
you don't release to the public.

That brings me to my next point. The best proof you can get is from the
public. When you come out with code, advertise it. Let the public know
you made it. Have you ever seen anyone try to crack MS-DOS? No, because
we all know who made it. Microsoft let the world know, so you'd have to
be a real moron to try and steal their stuff. Even if you just told
everyone on this list about your code and asked them to save the email
you sent, that's enough. And if you really want to get brutal, you can
just change the dates on your files so that they're earlier than the
cracker's file dates. Hell, I'll write a program to do that if you want.

I don't really care either way, I'm just trying to save you guys some
headaches and some money. Just a little smart thinking will give you all
the proof you need, without costing you a penny. Personally though, I
wouldn't register something unless I was really worried about it being
stolen. I hope that settles it.

Kaus wrote:
>Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:05:55 -0600
>To: assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org
>From: Kaus <kaus@cybrzn.com>
>Subject: Re: A85: Copyrighting
>

>but the date is the thing.  the thing is, everytime you update your
code,
>the filename's access date will change.  all "scribblings" are not
>inkdateable that accurately.  if the other person claims they made it
two
>days before you did, you are outa luck.  if you register it, the
government
>knows exaclty when it was for sure copyrighted.
>it is just an assurance. the filename date and the inkdating most
likely
>wouldn';t hold up in court.
>

>At 05:33 AM 12/2/98 PST, you wrote:
>>
>>That's why you put the copyright line in every copy of your code.
Nobody