Re: A85: "Doomsday" Shell. (Shell to end all other shells)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: "Doomsday" Shell. (Shell to end all other shells)

> Is this shell that's being theorized about with the help of e2 a true
concept
> that could actually happen, or is it the product of bored summer minds?  I
> don't mean to be offensive or anything, but I'm getting so hyped about that
> idea that I can't help but question its genuinity.  So many things I'd like
> ask, but only half or so come to mind.  First of all, will it run ZShell
> scripted programs?  (Geez, I should hope so).   Secondly, is there in all
> truth going to be a way to use the e2 dynamically?  Finally, (this one is
the
> killer, and the product of my always thinking-but-ever-on-the-wrong-track
> mind) would it be in any way possible to map out the e2 memory in a ti-85
> fashion so that through the link(with VERY advanced send/receive routines)
one
> would be able to use it as an accessible hard drive?  Think about it (from
my
> uneducated point of view).  Couldn't you actually launch applications from
the
> e2 if the 85 saw it as part of an extension of the memory?  (The 85 would
> send/receive variables, etc. as needed).  I can see this shell taking 40 or
> 50K of the e2 up, but who the hell would care if it were that good.  Some
one
> slap me and tell me that I'm stupid, because I feel like RainMan at a Mensa
> convention. :)

We could set it up so that it appears to be "paged" like the ROM or 86 RAM.
Reserve 4k in a fixed variable and have the driver "point" that 4k at a
specific
area of the expander.  The program could then just tell the driver what 4k
block to load.  Write-back could be added too.  I don't know how this would
help anything any but it is a cool idea.