A85: RE: real-time clock...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: RE: real-time clock...

This is rediculous!  All that you would need for a clock is a rtc or something inside the Expander.  The calculator, of course, would need a TSR program to display the time in the corner of the screen (or a regular one to just display time), so THAT PROGRAM would simply poll the Expander device to get the time when it needs it.

There is no need to do anything to the calculator.

SafeHold locks your calc by doing this:

jump to  Lock Routine
LockLoop:
calc is powered down.  Execution stops until it is powered on (duh, nothing runs when it's off)
Check the keyports
If the pressed-down keys are the same as the combination, then return to Usgard (end of program, execution returns to the shell)
goto LockLoop

There is nothing happening while the calculator is off.  The only thing that happens when it is off is that the ON button interrupt is run.  The routine for this is in ROM and can't be modified (Andreas Ess, Austin Butler, Jim Reardon, and I all tried together for a clock program: it can't be done).

Lock programs like SafeHold just check for a certain keypress after the power has turned on and the program has continued executing again.  NOTHING happens when your calculator is off, and those programs DO power-down completely.  But for heavens sake; neither is a clock necessary, nor is it difficult to do: it'd just be mostly software implemented.  And it isn't stupid, either.  If there's one in the EII, then I want one.  If not, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Nathan
-----
Stuntman (Nathan Haines) - ICQ UIN#: 2157863
http://www.cyberverse.com/~stuntman/nathan.html
QuickBASIC/Visual BASIC/TI-BASIC programmer (just your basic programmer)
President of Stuntworks - http://stuntworks.home.ml.org/