Re: A85: expander idea (clock)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: expander idea (clock)

PXGray wrote:

> A clock would be very hard to do.  You see, normal desktop model computers
> have built in clocks that run constantly, nonstop.  The calculator, having to
> be very small, compact, and cheap (yea right!), cannot have such a piece of
> equipment in it.

The Hp48G has a reliable clock in it this is the reason I assumed it was
possible.  How they incorporate it in the  hardware I have know idea, but I
assumed that since they did it it might be possible to do something similar with
an expander.

> However, I have had several insights into this.  It seems
> that such programs as Safehold, Access Denied, and CalcuLok which, when
> activated, power down the calc and wait for a certain sequence of keys to be
> pushed.  This is not the case however.  The calculator enters a low-power
> state, running a series of getkey calls over and over, but not actually being
> off.  This is how you could do a clock.  Incorporate it into a powerdown
> program for Usgard or ZShell (Usgard would be easier), so that the clock could
> run nonstop, like the standard CMOS in the computer.
>
> -Pat Gray
>
> "That which does not kill me, better not leave me in any position to return
> fire..."

  Scott Rowe
email snrowe@acsu.buffalo.edu

Follow-Ups: References: