RE: A85: RPG survey

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A85: RPG survey

Gray scale does NOT take up that much more space.  Basically it doubles the
graphics size, that's it.  The code is what is the big mooch of space, in
addition to text.

Consider this:

"Welcome to Darkness",0

Is well over the size of one grayscale map sprite.  A normal sprite is 8
bytes, grayscale 16.  You're overemphasizing the space grayscale takes.

And I don't know what is meant by side-scrolling levels; do you mean levels
that take more than one screen?  That would take about 10 more bytes of
code, and would save about 1k in the longrun, trust me.  But if you meant
like how Zelda 2 just broke out into a platform game durring attacks,
you're right, that's not necesary.  A VAR_EXEC of Sqrxz would work just as
well.

At 05:26 PM 9/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Grayscale is very unnecessary. In an RPG, the game play is most important,
>and if it's graphical, I really don't care about the color depth. Not that
>I mind the depth, but it would use even more memory in a game that would
>probably fill most of the memory anyway.
>
>Side-scrolling levels belong in an action game, not an RPG. They wouldn't
>fit on the calc with the RPG, unless they were really small.
>________________
>
>Jeff Tyrrill
>http://tyrrill-ticalc.home.ml.org/
>http://ti-files.home.ml.org/

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...