Re: A85: Re: A82: Universal, shmermuniversal....

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Michael Pearce wrote:

> I think i asked a reasonable question, and something that anyone who
> tries to make such a shell/OS should be very concerned with.  I do not
> see any possible way to overcome the differences in video hardware (to
> say the least).  If you are working in a high level language (which
> allows programs to work on multiple platforms by masking out hardware
> differences), this may be possible, but if the programs you write are
> going to be in assembly, i do not see how it is going to work.
>
> -mike

Certainly this is a reasonable question.  In fact the there would be no
true answer.  I think a more realistic, yet still ambitious project,
would be to develop a common OS for the 82 and 83, and another one for
the 85 and 86.  The hardware differences aren't as apparent and this
project could be feasible.