Re: LZ: A "Shell-Developers" E-Mailing List

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 02 Jun 1997 00:18:24 -0300 marco@magenta.com writes:
>Michael Wyman wrote:
>Just wondering, but WHY is EVERYONE all of a sudden shell crazy?
>What's wrong with Zshell?   Besides the lack of APD and Contrast
>changing, that's just about it.  And this has been reproduced fine in
>the other existing
>shells, and if I understand correctly, is due in the next version of
>zshell.

The next version of ZShell could possibly never happen.  This is why
shells are being created now.  But why 10 shells will soon exist I have
no idea.  CShell covers all the bases.

>People, I haven't really seen any groundbreaking games lately..  Why not
>work on something else besides shells?  I've seen a bunch of games
>demonstrating the possibilites of the Z80.   I know a mario clone
wouldn't be TOO
>terribly difficult to implement...  (In fact, SQRXZ is in beta... I
can't wait to see the
>final for that game)

Well, I'm working on a pretty groundbreaking RPG called Darkness.  Look
on my page, http://pages.prodigy.net/eviljim/ in the ZShell section for
some screen shots and a very early demo (no fighting yet).  I don't see
the reason in working on a shell, nothing is added by anything.  If added
calls were usefull (unlike the OS-85) it would be nice, but it seems like
just a bunch of crappy shells one after another.

>Sure, there's the nifty GUI's, the slightly smaller size (That is one
>good improvement)
>and APD and contrast change, but nothing dramatically different.

I think APD & Contrast are good additions for a shell.  That's why I use
CShell.  They are greatly useful and have saved my batteries at least 2
times already :)  Anything beyond that and I'm not switching, I don't
want or need anything else.  And from the screen shot I saw of Usguard it
appears like I might be disappointed (although it seems as if it will do
a good job incorporating the expander into a OS).

Jim Reardon
jim.reardon@juno.com
Viva La Mexico
http://pages.prodigy.net/eviljim/
We all come into the world the same way - naked, screaming, covered in
blood.  But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have
to end there.

Follow-Ups: References: