Re: A85: My problem with libraries

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: My problem with libraries

I was considering making a more useful spritelib...  I need NASR w/
Transparancy, and as well don't use that .db 8,8 for putsprit either (I'd
doubt many people use other than 8x8 sprites with it, too).

At 04:02 AM 8/11/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Well, i just wanted to say the problem i am having with using
>libraries for Usgard.  Maybe they aren't problems, just complaints.
>In my Solomon's Key game, i use 3 sprite routines.  Putsprite,
>PutSprite with transparency, and a routine to read the background from
>the video memory.  Only one of these is in a library.  And
>furthermore, i am only using 8X8 sprites.  I have over 50 sprites in
>the game right now (i think).  So i am wasting 2 bytes for each sprite
>by putting ".db 8,8" at the beginning when this should be in the
>sprite routine itself.  2 bytes * 50 sprites = 100 additional bytes.
>And, i need an almost 400 byte library (spritlib) of which i only use
>less than 100 bytes (for PutSprite).  I can imagine that Jimmy Mardell
>may have also realized this.  His new version of Sqrxz doesn't use the
>Sprite Library for most likely these same reasons.  But, on the other
>hand, if Jimmy Mardell's game and my game could share the exact same
>sprite routines (without putting ".db 8,8"), i guess that would save
>about 200+ bytes for the sprite routines and 100 bytes for the sprites
>themselves.  So there would *possibly* be a savings of 300 bytes for
>my game.  Man, statistics are great.  I can make them say whatever i
>want!  I don't know exactly what all of this is supposed to mean, but
>i'm sure it says something to different people.  It can either say
>"WASTE, WASTE, WASTE" or it can say "SAVE, SAVE, SAVE".  But at the
>moment since there isn't a library with those 3 routines, the usage of
>libraries is wasteful for me.
>
>-mike

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@geocities.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...

Follow-Ups: References: