Re: A85: Multi Shell programming (was Sqrxz 0.7b)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Multi Shell programming (was Sqrxz 0.7b)

Perhaps you are right, but a killer app in this case reffers to a
program
that only runs on PhatOS. To do such a think would be easy, because
there
are plans for a new Insane game. (perhaps I'll even get bored enough to
write a new LodeRunner, but that's beside the point) PhatOS was created
to bring shells togather rather than play king of the hill and chase all
the other shells away. To write a program that would only work on PhatOS
would be taking a giant step back. Usgard is hopping that by writting
the
sqrxz ONLY for usgard that they can kill off all the other shells, wich
is quite sad considering the main reason for PhatOS was that Usgard was
large and imho not optimized. We thought about adding some Usgard
support
to PhatOS, but Usgard doesn't document any features, and half of them
never get used anyway. Also all the extra calls that Usgard supports are
burried within the shell and not at the the start of the shell as in
zshell and some other shells; making Usgard very hard to emulate. I
doubt
this was done on purpose but it will make it hard for new versions of
Usgard to be backwards compatible.

As i have said before I would like the sources for shells to be released
in hopes of creating a SMALL shell that could run most programs from the
other shells. If any shell does release information about features that
would be usefull they will probably be added; but it would have to be a
feature that all future shells could use.

I know Matt Butch has posted saying he was going to write a shell that
would emulate all the shells, but I feel it is unlikely to succeed
because
of all the calls of the different shells (And Cshells MPIR's) have to be
in exact spots to work. It seems nobody thought about compatibily when
they
wrote the shells. Even the methoods for relocation are different from
shell
to shell.

Maybe now that we have all written these shells we can start over with a
new shell that combines the best features of all shells. WE NEED A
STANDARD
SHELL! (usgard is far from perfect ;-)

Mike Baker
mbm00@hotmail.com