Re: LZ: Compression program (and questions for asm programmers)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tony Lieuallen wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Alan Bailey wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for the help, though.  How about creating and deleting variables?
> > > Plus I would need to somehow pass information along to the program I call.
> > Creating and deleting is somewhat impossible right now, unless someone
> > finds the routine in ROM.  Creating would be easier than deleting,
> [snip]
>
> Wait...  We don't have to make a variable, just find some free space.  All we
> have to to is make the user make a blank string variable that is the size of
> the biggest program on his/her calc uncompressed.  We do an RST 10 or whatever,
> and write there, call the program.  Then, maybe overwrite it with zeros.
>
>                               The nice thing about Windows is that it does
> Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
> marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
> http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/1171/

I was just responding to his question.  Anyways, I was looking in
ti-ram.txt to remember the pointers.  $8b25 is the pointer to last byte
of free mem.  $8b27 is the first byte.  You can subtract those to see if
you have enough room to uncompreess, and then write it there.  Since only
your program is running, (besides interuppts), you can be sure nothing
will mess eith it.  Dont' change the pointers though...

Alan B.

oh yeah, you can leave stuff there, you don't have to clear it.