LZ: Compression and patents

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: Compression and patents

-> I believe that LZW is no longer patented. I think Microsoft actually
-> uses it in the real-time compression interface in DOS 6 and later.
->
-> Arithmetic, however, I *know* is still patented--which is why the
-> MRCI doesn't use it, even though it is a better algorithm.
->
-> BTW--no algorithm works very well for code. I'd say 20 percent
-> compression would be very good. This means that this whole project
-> might not have much in the way of usable results! However, you might
-> prove me wrong--I'd love to see it. Plus, it would be a great
-> learning experience!

If you used the BW Tranformation you could, It sorts the data and keeps
a record of how it sorted them. Code has a lot of repetition it's just
not consecutive.