Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest

-> > -> >This method is known as the Lempel-Ziv algorithm.
-> > ->
-> > -> That is interesting, thanks.  But how efficient is that with
-> data > -> files that are more random?
-> >
-> > It's patended.
->
-> I don't think it is patented anymore.  It was invented in 1977 which
-> was 19 years ago.  The patent therfore expired a couple years ago.
-> It is now public domain.  However, I am rethinking and I thought that
-> for  ZCompress or whatever the name will be, a arithmetic compression
-> algorithm would work best.  Although slow, it provides for excellent
-> compression, which is the main reason for the compressor.

I think it still is patended, I heard that it will expire soon, but not
yet. I could be wrong.