Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 03:30 PM 9/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't knwo what you mean by the program_addr being a problem.  Take a look at
>my previous messages, I have come up with a better way of doing it that will
>take
>up less space.  There will be no problem with identifier bytes, or whatever.
>Every compressed string will be self-extracting except that the decompression
>program will be like the engines on Caves and Scrolls.  In fact, it is the same
>principle.
>
>--	Scott Rein
>	srein@rain.org

I think your self extraction engine idea is great.  I'm not sure, but it
seems to me that even with that method you will need to change PROGRAM_ADDR.
This is because the decompressed program will be run from a different place
in memory than the original self-extracting program (this might be different
with yours).  Therefore the new, temporary, decompressed program will only
be able to access those variables that remain uncompressed in the actual
compressed string.  I think (but again, I'm not sure) that you will need to
update PROGRAM_ADDR to point to the beginning of the temporary string in
memory, unless you can get ZShell to do this for you.  Just out of
curiosity, what happens if you run a Caves or Scrolls level when you don't
have the engine?  I suppose the compressed programs can do whatever those
levels do in that case.

Ben
shakal@ns.net

Follow-Ups: References: