Re: LZ: Need algorithmic help!!! (fwd)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Need algorithmic help!!! (fwd)

>         Here is goes. I need an algorithm to calculate the x values of
> drawing a parabolic like line between a fixed point and a slidable point
> horizontally. In simple terms, i want to draw the two lines that outline
> the edges of the road that will get closer together farther away from you,
> hight up on the screen. THe prob is I don't want straight lines, i want
> the lines connecting the points to curve in parabolic-like shape that has
> been rotated either 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. I can't
> belive I'm 16 in Accelerate Pre-Calc. and I can't figure out how to do
> this. I has to be real simple. Maybe i can use trig with sin or cos in
> some weird way. Anyway, any help will be much appreciated since this game
> will rock, just wait and see. no, don't wait, tell me what kind of
> algorithm I'm thinking of. There must be dozens of peopleon this listserve
> that know how to do this. Oh and by the way, you don' have to write to me
> in assembler, just give me the mathmatic formulas and/or outline in
> ti-basic. It's easier for both of us.
>                         Will Stokes

If I understand right, you're looking for a way of drawing half (left or
right side of a vertical parabloa) of a parabola, correct? The equations
following are from my AP Calc book, they should be somewhere in your
Pre-Calc book too. Standard equation for a vertical parabola:
y=(x^2)/(4p). p is (*If* I translated the Calc right) the distance from
the vertex of the parabola to the focus of the parabola. Your precalc
book will probably explain this better than I am.. I'd suggest you play
in the function grapher on the TI85 and manipulate the parabola equation
until you find a shape that you like. Take note of the function you
used, and make sure that your range is square (ie don't stretch the
graph of the parabola; it'll look different when you graph it in
zshell.) Hope this helps.

<pre>
--
Greg Hill