Re: LZ: ?s about ram expander!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: ?s about ram expander!

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:30:53 -0500, you wrote:
>>After I'm done writing the send/receive software, I'll start work on
>>an "Extender Shell" that will automate the process of downloading the
>>zshell program into free memory, running it, then deleting it after
>>you exit the program.  The only slowdown will be when you first start
>>the program because large programs could take 10 or 15 seconds to
>>download.  I'm not sure when I'll get the Extender Shell done, but
>>it's definitely in my future plans.
>>
>>-Mel
>

>Ok, lets say that ZShell, and the extender shell take up, say 10k of =
calc
>ram.  Ok, that leaves 17k left to run a program.  Let's say somebody =
wrote
>a program that was 20k in size.  This is a problem...The expander shell
>would have to support Jump Tables, and programmers would have ta start
>including them in their programming.  If you're not familiar with jump
>tables, I might be able to explain them to you.

I doubt that the Expander Shell will take up more than 4-5k, so that
may or may not be a problem.  It will be a while before most games
reach 20k!  The only problem with an Expander shell is if a program
accesses other files on the calc during the program, in which case
there must be a way to do multiple file downloads within the shell.

-Mel

<pre>
--
The TI-85 Memory Expansion Homepage