Re: LZ: TI-85 Turbo

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: TI-85 Turbo

> Look for capacitor C9 (it's to the left of that huge IC and under the
>  display panel a little).  When you find it, unsolder the capacitor (it's
>  surface mount and looks like a little rectangular box).  Make sure not to
>  burn up the board or anything else since I have a problem like that and I
>  have to resolder a connection between the chip and a resistor with a wire
>  (since the connection is supposed to be embeded in the board, but if you
>  burn it off...).  After that's done, just close the cover and run the
calc.
>   You can do tests on it if you want; my favorite is X sin x where X is
1-6.
>   You can do this before unsoldering the connection as a measure for the
>  norm value.  I did various other tests that confirm the speed as changed
>  from 3.5 times up to 6 times the speed.  It's really great!  But for the
>  tetris type games...and turboslo froze my calc b4.  It's up to you.  You
>  know how a switch works; you can put that in without me telling you how.

I've heard that a lot of people have had problems with that.  The BEST way to
fix it is by taking out the 33pF capacitor (C9), and replacing it with a 1pF
capacitor.  That way, it is less likely not to work, because that capacitor
is in there for a GOOD reason - to reduce spikes in power.  A 1pF will at
least sort of compensate for taking out the 33pF...

Also, if you use the 1pF, the switch would not be that easy.  I think you
could use a DPDT switch and connect it something like this:

Lay the switch out so it has 3 pins horizontally and 2 vertically.
the Top-Left pin connects to one lead of the 33pF cap.
the Bottom-Left pin connects to the OTHER lead of the 33pF
the Top-Middle connects to one of the holes from the cap. you desoldered
the Bottom-Middle connects to the OTHER hole from the cap.
the Top-Right pin connects to one lead of the 1pF cap
the Bottom-Right pin connects to the other lead of the 1pF

Hope this helps anyone who killed their calc trying it... :)

~Stephen Hicks
TIMaster00@aol.com