LZ: Random Number making

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: Random Number making

Hey, I'm looking at making a hand dealer, and eventually a playing program
for bridge, cribbage, or hearts, and I'm wondering how I can create random
numbers from 0 to 3 and 0 to 12.  I've already looked at random number
routines, but none that I've seen have explained limiting the range of the
number obtained.  Also, how would be the best way to represent cards?  I
think a 16 bit number would work best:

Suit:     Value :       Card:        Value:
Clubs       00            2             00
Diamonds    01            3             01
Hearts      02           ...            ...
Spades      03          Jack            09   And so on.

Combining these, I'd get:

4 of Clubs is $0002
Jack of Hearts is $0209
etc.

Would this work?  Thanks for any help!

| Marc Heikens                 |  Fear not all is well.          |
| kheikens@owt.com             |  Fear, not all is well.         |
|  Reduce your stress level!   |                                 |
|  Buy a Macintosh!            |  --Truth lies in interpretation.|