[A83] Re: free memory on the Ti-83-

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: free memory on the Ti-83-

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:54:56 +0000, Pieter Van Nuffel [aka SUCKER]
wrote:

> Where in ram are the pointers to the beginning and ending of free ram
> on a regular Ti-83? I am using a normal hexeditor on my Ti-83- and
> that way pieces of code are sometimes doubled in ram because the
> swapping that occurs when a shell program is executed. I would want to
> make a program that puts zero's into the block of free ram (it's a
> solid block, isn't it?). Or do I need the sizes of the programs or
> something to calculate the entire free mem area?

Free ram is the area between the floating point stack and the
operator stack, so you can calculate it by subtracting the pointers to
the end of these stacks. I'm not sure but I believe it's
(9311h)-(930Dh)(+/-1). You should trace a call to _memchk(?) with vti
to be sure.
Also, when the TIOS opens an edit buffer on a variable, it reserves all
free ram and moves things around extensively. This explains why
you see parts of variables on several places in a hexdump.

Follow-Ups: References: