[A83] Re: Sprite Rotation?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Sprite Rotation?

> I guess the vector system would make the file smaller, as you could draw
> the sprites to memory at start up, so you just have one vector image
> instead of eight bitmap images.  Vector also looks better when yuo rotate
> it, as the limited grayscale can't anti-alias the bitmap rotation enough.

Vector sprites are really small, and I have the opportunity to generate
their pictures at 256 different angles. However, for the time of the
race, the program prerenders the images at 32 different angles (masked
sprites in this case). Good news is that you can have everything in a
compact vector form when you don't need it, so you certainly gain much
memory compared to sprites that are ready at the time of compilation (to
be honest, in the case of DR if every car sprite was hand drawn, the
program wouldn't even fit into the RAM). Bad news is that the quality of
the pictures will be low. Just look at the cars as they change their
shape while steering...
--
http://fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                      unladen european swallow