[A83] Re: delvar command [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: delvar command [OT]

Huh?  I think you're confused about file formats.  There are formats for
line endings in text files:

Mac -- \r
DOS -- \r\n
Unix -- \n

Wordpad supports reading both DOS and Unix formatted files.  Unfortunately,
for some reason, Notepad does not (I _really_ wish they would fix that).  It
only supports DOS files.  When you open a Unix text file in Notepad, you
usually see all the lines one line, with the \n showing up as block like
character.

The \r and \n notation is a standard C escape sequence.  A \r is a carriage
return (ASCII value 13), and a \n is a newline (ASCII value 10).  I remember
reading some book (Practical C++ Programming?) that explained the reason for
DOS having two line end characters.  Some printer type device needed an
extra character period to have the carriage (the print head) return to the
beginning of the line (the \r) and advance to the new line (the \n).

As for why Macs use \r alone, I have no idea.  Does anyone know if they
changed this behavior in OS X?