[A83] Re: Getting lost RAM back

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Getting lost RAM back

Wait...I found a flaw in that idea... Any time a regular assembly program is
loaded, it MUST be at the userMem location. Correct? Otherwise, all the jp's
and call's would be messed up. Perhaps another useful piece of information
would be to find out how Asm( works. My guess is that it pushes memory up in
RAM by inserting the appropriate amount at userMem. So I'd probably have to do
(in pseudo-code) ld hl,userMem + theLengthofMyProgram to get to the start
location of the doubled program.

Also, I don't see why memory leaks can't be exploited...If you can manually
allocate memory and you know where it starts, you could store a bunch of
information there.

If you have any information that invalidates any of my ideas, let me know!
Thanks!

-Tom

Quoting tlutz@stevens-tech.edu:

> Maybe if I do a hex dump of the RAM before and after the memory leak I
> can
> figure out what I need to do to fix it... Is there a place in RAM that
> stores
> the location to the next place in RAM not used? How do InsertMem and
> DelMem
> work? Could I free the RAM by loading the program length into DE and
> pointing
> HL to userMem, then B_CALL DelMem? Just an idea.
>
> -Tom
>

> Quoting Ronald Teune <rtwolf@gmx.net>:
>

> > Well, I don't know very much about it, but I'll try.
> > The program is being copied to the progstart location, when it's
> being
> > executed.
> > I imagine that it's double in memory, at that time, at the original
> > place,
> > and at the saferam place, and that it somehow stays double. The only
> way
> > know to remove the extra bytes is clearing your ram...
> >
> > >Is there any way to recover lost memory, such as when the user
> turns
> > the
> > >calculator off while in a GetKey ROM call in an ASM program? I'm
> not
> > >looking for alternative key entry routines, just an explanation of
> > why
> > >the memory is lost, where it goes, and how to get it back. Thanks a
> > lot!
> > >
> > >-Tom

Follow-Ups: References: