[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Fwd: RE: TI-OS replacement

> Van: Aaron St.John <aaronstj@hotmail.com>
>
> DCMA aside, distributing a patched ROM is clearly illegal.  Copyright
> law prohibits against derived works as well as direct copies.  This is
> part of the reason Microsoft is having so much success against certain
> mod chip companies - their modhips include patche bios images, bios
> images with are copyright Microsoft.  However, I believe that actually
> patching the OS, and even going as far as releasing the patch (but not
> the patched OS) is legal.

Yup, that something clearly 'stupid' (law wise). The American (and other
countries?) laws presume that everybody is sane enough to not do anything
in violation of the law (you're expected to know and understand the law by
heart).

So you may make a website how to do some Really Bad Things(TM), but you
can't get in jail for that. Unless it looks like you're asking other people
to do the stuff mentioned on your site. Same goes for normal dead tree
hardcopy articles.

Off coarse, if you tell how to hack into a nukehead-launchpad or how to
produce 'factory quality' biological bombs they will get you because of
violating state security or something.

btw, in America, monopoly holders may not tigh in 'only usable with this
system' kind of stuff. For example, DRM by Microsoft must be clearly
specified how it works, so it can be implemented in other systems as well.
Don't know if this applies to Ti. Might be nice to 'force' Ti to release
their OS-signer (+ sign nr.) too, or at least a way to put other OSes on
the Ti83+ (they *probably* already put a put a backdoor in their system).

	Henk Poley <><