[A83] Re: microcode

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: microcode

> There processors that allow you to update the microcode.  I believe the
> Pentium III Xeon is one such CPU.  I remember seeing stuff for Linux
> relating to that, although I can't remember exactly what.

All of the P6 family can have upgraded microcode (PPro, P2, P3, celeron). Intel decided that it didn't want to have another f00f bug requre the remaking of thousands (maybe millions) of CPUs. I think that (no knowing for sure) that the K6 and above from amd can, as well as the p4. I don't believe that alphas can nor sparcs, m68ks, can have the microcode upgraded. Z80s certainly can't becuase they were before the time of microcode, and have all instructions 'hardwired' into the chip.

James L.

PS The only ones I am sure about are the intel ones, and the z80, so if I am wrong please correct me. Of course if people bothered to check the processors before they shipped and not cover up problems...