[A83] Re: The fuzz at ticalc.org

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: The fuzz at ticalc.org

Do you know specifically which files are the problem?  I think a lot of us
would be interested in knowing.

As for whether or not they "should" be blaming ticalc.org, that is pretty
irrelevant.  You need to look at this incident from a business perspective.
TI doesn't sell a lot of links, and the ones that they do sell likely have a
fairly low profit margin.  A CD in the package isn't really going to affect
sales one way or another.  Students buy links because they are already
intersted in calculators, and would thus know about ticalc.org, or because
they are using them for educational purposes, in which case a collection of
games isn't going to be big selling point.  Calculators are primarily sold
because they are recommended or required by a school.  This is due to TI's
educational relationship with schools and textbook publishers.  The number
of students who buy a calculator solely because it has cool games are very
small percentage compared to the number that buy them because they are
necessary for school.

Parents usually do not have qualms about buying an expensive graphing
calculator because it is recommended by the school.  TI is trusted as being
an educator.  Once this trust is broken, it becomes more difficult to be
endorsed by schools.  Parents that hear about inappropriate content on TI
calculator related products will be warry about buying them, consider
alternatives, and possibly put pressure on schools to consider alternatives.
This directly hurts calculator sales.

An interesting thing to think about is that it is far more likely for your
calc to get borrowed without your permission or stolen because of the
reputation for games.  I know this is a stereotype, but from my experience
while in high school, the types of people who would steal a calculator would
be doing it for games, not for educational purposes.

> That's right, it just slipped through, one of the reasons of one file
being
> that it was hidden deep inside a couple of subdirectories of an otherwise
> fine program.
>
> Anyways, since TI didn't find the files during their screening, they
shouldn't
> blame ticalc.org too. (Either direct or by implication)

Follow-Ups: References: