[A83] Re: Apps: part II

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Apps: part II

That's a good point, but the reason to switch is that ZDS is better :)  Of
course, it's not a big deal either way, I just wanted to suggest that people
at least give ZDS a try to see if they like it.

As for why I personally prefer ZDS, here the list:
1) It's much more organized.  You can have lots of files in your project,
and easily switch between them (without having twenty instances of notepad
open).  It also does some highlighting, which I don't really care about, but
it's there.
2) When you've got errors, you can just double click on them and it'll take
you straight to that line, so you can easily fix it.
3) At least on my old and moldy computer, ZDS runs much faster than TASM.
4) You almost *must* use ZDS is you want to write multi-page apps (it has a
nice linker).  You're going to have a lot more trouble setting up and
linking off page calls, tables, etc using TASM.  Also nice for multipage
apps is that, when assembling, ZDS will only assemble pages that have been
changed since the last compile.  This saves a lot of time if you have a good
number of pages.
5) ZDS produces symbol files in a format that the Flash Sim will read,
allowing you to do some symbolic debugging (which is very nice).
6) It's got a lot of nice changeable settings that are missing from TASM
(just check the options) and macros are more powerful.

Anyhow, I say try them both out for a bit, and stick with whichever you end
up liking more.

-Dan Englender

P.S. - For those used to programming with TASM, the major differences you
have to be aware of are "bcall(_ClrLCDFull)" changes to "B_CALL ClrLCDFull",
".db" changes to "db", and that you don't need to do a ".org 4000h", just
set the appropriate linker settings (Described in the Dev Guide, which any
83P (or 83) programmer should download ASAP :)