[A83] Re: LD A,R ; LD R,A

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: LD A,R ; LD R,A

>From "Programming the Z80" by Rodnay Zaks:

"The R register is the memory-refresh register.  It is provided to refresh
dynamic memories automatically.  Such a register has traditionally been
located outside the microprocessor, since it is associated with the dynamic
memory.  It is a convenient feature which minimizes the amount of external
hardware for some types of dynamic memories."

Basically, the r register gets incremented each byte of instruction code.
It's used in some pseudo-random number generators, such as ztetris, but it
can't be used without some sort of variable-length delay between uses (such
as waiting for someone to hit a key), because otherwise the output won't be
very random.  Otherwise, it has little practical use on calculators.

In a message dated 7/14/2001 2:44:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hyper@hysoft-automation.com writes:

> When using the tasm80.tab file, I
> came upon the opcodes LD A,R and LD R,A
> They have a '1' at the end of the line
> (the class), so I guess they're four our
> processor. But I'm curious as to that this
> R means. It can't be meaning 'other registers'
> since they're all taken care for elsewhere in the
> table file. My guess is that it's a special system

----
Jonah Cohen
<ComAsYuAre@aol.com>
http://jonah.ticalc.org