[A83] Re: Raycaster

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Raycaster

At 13:29 2001-02-26, you wrote:
> > I've discovered however, that, unlike PC games, TI83 games drop
> > the framerate when you get up-close to a wall. Even Defiance (82)
> > with it's pseudo 3D engine has this thing. What can you do about it?
>
>i'm not sure, but i think that it could be because the walls are larger when
>you're close: drawing them takes more time...

Yes, you should probably see it as it speeds up, when you move away from
the wall, instead of seeing it as it slows down when you approach.
Less memorymoves on a small wall, and a lot of optimization to be done when
you are far from a wall, since you usally dont draw ceilings or floors in a
raycaster.
You could probably do one that goes equally fast regardless of the distance
to the wall, but that would probably mean that you have to deliberatly slow
down the process when you are far from a wall... And that is probably not
what you want :)

///Olle